South Asian Women Autonomous & Independent (SAWAI) Project
WHY AND FOR WHOM
This project aims to establish contact with women of South Asian origin (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Afghanistan), living in Parc Extension and Cote des Neiges areas and who face barriers in participating in Montreal living.
We build confidence in isolated women visiting them at their homes to assess their needs and navigate them towards the services in their area of living. We want to develop their potential so that they become autonomous and independent, especially when they are new in this country and living alone with their children.
Becoming immersed in Montreal society can be effective method for South Asian Women to achieve autonomy and independence. We want women of South Asian origin to have equal rights and opportunities as all Quebecers.
Learning French is of paramount importance as it is the official language used in public life.
Participating in Montreal life will help women increase their sense of well-being. Well-being is not just happiness, but it is about giving meaning to our lives. We want women to feel fulfilled and worthwhile. By becoming involved in a supportive society we are optimistic that the collective well-being of South Asian Women will flourish.
In partnership with community organizations, topics may include:
- Self confidence and Self affirmation
- Decision making
- Development of abilities
- Access to employment
- Women’s rights, laws and the judicial system, gender equality
- Violence against women
- Health and social services
- Parent- child relationships
- Educational system – integration and volunteering
- Continuing Education
- Lectures by community professionals
- Community outings and picnics
- Cross cultural exchanges
BASIC SKILLS WORKSHOPS
- How to use public transit
- Going to the local grocery store (item identification, budget and cost comparison)
- How to open a bank account, use a debit card and interact
- Where and What are the services at the local CLSC, police and fire departments
- How to use local amenities such as the library, centre des loisirs, maison de la culture
- Which community organizations are in your area and how can they help you
- Basic English & French conversation group meetings
- Gender Equality issues
- Arts, crafts, drama, theatre, exercise
- And many, many more…
All programs are Free !
For more information contact
We are strong.
We have worth.
Our lives are meaningful.
We can find contentment. We are smart.
We are beautiful
We will not make excuses.
We are important.
We can make our dreams come true.
Have no fear.
We can support each other.
We can always be happy.
We can find solutions
We are not alone.
We can do anything we put our mind to.
Violence is never okay or justifiable.
Our work at home is valuable.
We can always be at peace.
Help is there for us.